2016

Water moves through a cycle. It is a vital resource as it is essential to the survival of all living things.

We spent a fun and informative day at Winneke Water Treatment Plant on Thursday 21st April. We moved into groups of about 20 and were guided through the water treatment process as we walked through the plant. We wore high visibility vests and safety glasses for protection.

IMG_9349 IMG_9352 IMG_9354

The dirt is removed from the water from the reservoir in different stages. At one stage it is piped into the big rectangular ponds pictured above and is filtered through sand and gravel to remove impurities. 

IMG_9355 IMG_9357

IMG_9364

We saw a model of the Sugarloaf Reservoir which is situated at Christmas Hills. Our guide explained the layout of the Treatment Plant, the countryside around and the pipes which transport the water from the reservoirs to our taps. 

IMG_9368 IMG_9383 IMG_9388

We also had time for a picnic lunch, a play in the park and a brisk bushwalk along the shores of the reservoir. We climbed grassy hills and used fallen branches for walking sticks. Noah was looking for caterpillars and Bethany found one hitching a ride on her backpack. Louise walked fast to tire us out so we would sleep on the bus trip home! But that trick did not work! Caelan announced that he would be asleep before his head hit the pillow when he got home. 

IMG_9374 IMG_9369

How does our supply of fresh water compare to that of children in different countries around the world?
Think about ‘Ryan’s Well’. Watch Ryan’s story on Youtube.

Sing a long to the Water Cycle Boogie

2014

We travelled to the Winneke Water Treatment Plant on Wednesday 21st May, 2014 to see where 10% of Melbourne’s water is cleansed before being piped to our homes. The other 90% of our water comes from uninhabited catchment areas of natural forest which were set aside around 100 years ago.

Sugarloaf Reservoir has a 96,253 megalitre capacity. Today it was 83.4% full. 

IMG_2160 
Click this link to see Melbourne Water’s clip about how our water supply system works (Winneke Treatment Plant)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixlNjdrZjP4

IMG_2134

We wore high visibility vests and walked around looking at the different stages of the filtration system.  
IMG_2130

These water samples came from Sugarloaf Reservoir. The sample on the left is untreated. The sample on the right has passed through the treatment process.
Explore this Melbourne Water website for lots of interesting water facts http://www.melbournewater.com.au/Pages/home.aspx
IMG_2137
Flocculation occurred when alum was added to the water to help soil particles form lumps which floated to the water surface for removal. Algae was growing on the pipes and is cleaned off once a year. Chlorine, fluoride and lime are also added to the water. Can you do some research to find out why these are added?
We learnt lots of tricky new words……do you know their meaning? Can you spell them?
coagulation, clarification, filtration, chlorination, fluoridation, flocculation, sedimentation.
IMG_2157

http://www.kidsgeo.com/geography-for-kids/0131-what-is-water.php

water

http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/water.html

cycle

http://www.watereducation.org/doc.asp?id=1022

drop

http://www.discoverwater.org/

imagesCAEU8KOP

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/homework/swater.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*